Nebraska Bankruptcy Exemptions


40-101 - For head of household or married debtor, $60,000, but cannot exceed 2 lots in a city or 160 acres elsewhere. Sale proceeds are exempt for 6 months (40-113). May record homestead declaration (40-105)

Personal Property

8-1 - Health and medical savings accounts up to $25,000.

12-511 - Perpetual care funds.

12-517 - Burial plot.

12-605 - Tombs, crypts, lots, niches, and vaults.

25-1552 - $2,500 of any property except wages, in lieu of homestead.

25-1556 - Health aids; personal possessions; clothing; furniture, household electronics, personal computers, musical instruments, appliances, and books up to $1,500.

25-1563.02 - Recovery for personal injuries.


25-1558 - For head of family, minimum 85% of earned but unpaid weekly earnings or pension payments. For all others, the greater of the following: 30 times the federal minimum hourly wage or 75% of earned but unpaid earnings. Judge may approve more for low income debtor.


11 U.S.C. § 522 - Tax exempt retirement funds; Traditional and Roth IRAs up to $1,095,000 per person.

23-2322 - County employees.

25-1559 - Military disability benefits.

25-1563.01 - ERISA-qualified benefits needed for support including IRAs and Roth IRAs.

48-1401 - Public employees' deffered compensation.

79-948 - School employees.

84-1324 - State employees.

Public Benefits

48-149 - Workers' compensation.

48-647 - Unemployment compensation.

68-148 - General assistance to the poor.

68-1013 - Aid to blind, aged, and disabled; public assistance.

Tools of Trade

25-1556 - Tools or equipment up to $2,400. (Subject to doubling) (Can include motor vehicle used for work or to commute to and from workplace.)


44-371 - Life insurance or annuity contract proceeds up to $100,000 loan value.

44-1089 - Fraternal benefit society benefits up to loan value of $100,000 unless the beneficiary was convicted of a crime related to the benefits.

Other - Add any applicable Federal Nonbankruptcy Exemptions


This website contains information related to law and is NOT LEGAL advice. It contents is for information only. If you need legal advice, please consult an attorney or act as your own.
All documents typed are prepared by Rica Gilmore.

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.