Connecticut Bankruptcy Exemptions


52-352b - Real property, including mobile or manufactured home, up to $75,000. This only applies to claims arising after 1993. In money judgement cases arising out of services provided at a hospital, up to $125,000.

Personal Property

52-321 - Spendthrift trust funds needed for support. Tuition savings accounts.

52-352 - Motor vehicle up to $3,500; food, clothing and health aids; appliances, furniture and bedding; wedding and engagement rings; burial plot; residential utility and security deposits for 1 residence; proceeds for damaged exempt property; transfers made to a nonprofit debt adjustor; and $1,000 of any property.


52-361a - Minimum 75% of earned but unpaid wages or 40 times the state or federal minimum hourly wage; the greater of the two amounts will be used.


11 U.S.C. § 522 - Tax exempt retirement accounts. Traditional and Roth IRAs up to $1,095,000 per person.

5-171;5-192w - State employees.

7-446 - Municipal employees.

10-183q - Teachers.

52-321a - Medical savings accounts.

52-352b - ERISA-IRAs, Roth IRAs, Keoghs, and other qualified benefits, but only to the extent wages are exempt.

Public Benefits

31-272 & 52-352b - Unemployment compensation.

52-352b - Workers' compensation; veterans' benefits; social security; crime victims' compensation; public assistance.

Tools of Trade

52-352b - Arms, military equipment, uniforms and musical instruments of military personnel; tools, books, instruments and farm animals needed.

Alimony and Child Support

52-352b - Alimony and child support, to extent wages are exempt.


38a-453 - Life insurance proceeds, dividends, interest, or cash or surrender value:

38a-454 - Life insurance proceeds if policy prohibits use to pay creditors.

38a-637 - Fraternal benefit society benefits.

52-352b - Health and disability benefits; disability benefits paid by association for its members; unmatured life insurance policy dividends, interest, or loan value up to $4,000, if the beneficiary is a dependent.


52-352d - Farm partnership animals and livestock feed that are required to reasonably run the farm where 50% or more of the partners are from the same family.


This website contains information related to law and is NOT LEGAL advice. It contents is for information only. If you need legal advice, please consult an attorney or act as your own.
All documents typed are prepared by Rica Gilmore.

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.